We all know that oxygen is essential for our survival. 30-180 seconds without it can cause the loss of consciousness.
Three minutes without oxygen leads to serious damage.
Five minutes without it will ultimately lead to death.
While we’re all aware that we need to breathe in oxygen to live, a lot of people don’t know the essential roles that oxygen plays to keep our body functioning. In this blog, we talk about the importance of oxygen in the body.
We also discuss the benefits of extra oxygenation from hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
Importance of oxygen in the body
The importance of oxygen is often overlooked.
It plays an essential role in respiration of most living things.
Humans need it to stay alive while plants need oxygen for photosynthesis.
Oxygen is our first and greatest source of energy.
It breaks down the food we eat and turns it into the energy we use for our day to day activities.
It fuels the body for all its basic bodily functions.
Oxygen is so important that only 10% of our energy comes from food and water, while 90% comes from the oxygen that we breathe.
Oxygen plays many other essential roles in our body function. Some of these include:
- Oxygen helps our body heal and rebuild by detoxifying blood cells
- Strengthens the immune system
- Removes free radicals, destroys anaerobic bacteria, viruses, microbes and parasites, and neutralizes environmental toxins
- Aids in the absorption of essential nutrients, vitamins, and amino acids
- Oxygen helps enhance memory and brain function which is essential for learning
It is widely known that longevity and quality of life relates to the food we eat and amount of exercise we do.
It is not often mentioned that maintaining proper oxygen levels in the body is vital for our health as well.
This is why many doctors, nutritionists, and trainers suggest hyperbaric oxygen therapy to reap the benefits of extra oxygen in the body.
Interested in hyperbaric oxygen in Morris County, New Jersey? Read on.
Extra oxygen in the body lowers the risk of heart disease
All of the tissues, cells, and organs in our body need oxygen.
This is why hypoxemia, low concentration of oxygen in our blood, is very dangerous and can cause various health complications.
Hypoxemia damages the lungs and cardiovascular system which leads to pulmonary hypertension, high blood pressure, and heart failure.
Extra oxygenation through hyperbaric oxygen therapy gives the heart the oxygen it needs to pump through the rest of our body.
It increases blood oxygen saturation which helps the lungs to better meet our body’s oxygen needs.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy boosts stamina and performance
Physical activity and exercise are essential for longevity and good quality of life.
Getting enough exercise improves our lives in a variety of ways.
It improves mood, manages weight, strengthens our bones and muscles, improves our ability to perform our daily activities, increases energy levels, and so much more.
Taking in extra oxygenation improves tolerance and endurance, helping the body and strained muscles recover faster.
It reduces respiratory discomfort during strenuous activities, allowing us to do more.
It builds our stamina in order to perform better and work out for longer periods of time.
Breathing in extra oxygen improves muscle metabolism which allows us to exercise even more without easily getting fatigued.
With the extra oxygen from hyperbaric oxygen therapy, we can further exert ourselves when it comes to physical activity or exercise.
Extra oxygen improves cognitive function
Additional oxygen in the body through hyperbaric oxygen therapy doesn’t only improve our physical activities, it increases brain function as well.
Low blood oxygen levels can affect brain function making us feel fatigued, less alert, and experience brain fog.
This can lead to certain difficulties in daily life and make it hard to keep healthy habits such as exercise and learning.
Many studies have shown that the additional oxygenation from hyperbaric oxygen therapy has many benefits for the brain and cognitive function.
Extra oxygen in the body improves blood flow, which allows better circulation and brings more oxygen to the brain.
Many studies have proven that this helps prevent cognitive decline and even improves or hastens the healing of brain injury.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is also known to boost neuroplasticity, which is extremely beneficial for patients with dementia or Alzheimer’s.
Additional oxygen promotes better sleep
Good quality sleep is essential for our health.
A good night’s sleep means our body is able to fully rest in order to heal and recharge for day to day activities.
Quality sleep is so important for our overall health.
It helps improve concentration, supports the immune system, reduces inflammation, and even lowers the risk of depression and other mental health issues.
With so many distractions in our environment, quality sleep is hard to come by.
Researchers have proven that higher levels of oxygen in the body promote deeper sleep.
This puts the body in a more restorative state which allows our brain and muscles to recover from our daily activities.
The additional oxygenation from hyperbaric oxygen therapy is highly beneficial when it comes to getting good quality sleep.
It promotes slow-waves sleep, which also plays a role in consolidating memories.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy can be used in individuals who have disrupted sleep patterns in order for them to achieve slow-waves sleep and reap its restorative health benefits.
Hyperbaric oxygen helps wounds heal faster
Injuries cause cells and tissues to be inflamed.
This makes it difficult for oxygen to reach, which causes slower healing.
Extra oxygen from hyperbaric oxygen therapy promotes healing by boosting the blood flow to damaged tissues in need of oxygen.
HBOT helps reduce swelling and brings oxygen to the tissues that need healing.
Wounds need oxygen to heal properly, and the additional oxygenation from hyperbaric oxygen therapy allows them to heal significantly faster.
Extra oxygen also promotes the formation of collagen and new skin cells.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy and extra oxygen
We’ve talked about all the benefits of extra oxygen. But how does hyperbaric oxygen increase the oxygen in our body?
HBOT allows us to breathe 100% oxygen in a pressurized environment called the hyperbaric chamber.
Through hyperbaric oxygen therapy, our bodies take in up to five times more oxygen than when we breathe normally.
The heightened pressure of the hyperbaric chamber enables our lungs to take in more oxygen.
This means that more oxygen is pumped by the heart, into our tissues and organs, allowing them to heal more effectively.
As mentioned in this blog, there are a multitude of benefits that come with extra oxygen.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is a safe and easy way to reap the benefits of extra oxygen in our body and overall wellbeing.
- Oxygen is needed for many essential functions in the human body such as breaking down the food we eat, detoxifying our blood, absorbing vital nutrients, and enhancing memory and brain function.
- Extra oxygen in the body can reduce the risk of heart disease by avoiding hypoxemia which is low blood concentration. Hypoxemia could damage our cardiovascular system leading to high blood pressure and even heart failure.
- The additional oxygenation through hyperbaric oxygen therapy boosts stamina and performance that is essential for proper exercise. Physical activity is so important for quality of life and longevity. With extra oxygen, muscles heal faster and experience less fatigue. It reduces respiratory discomfort and boosts endurance. Getting proper exercise provides our bodies with so many benefits such as improving mood, building strength, reducing the risk of mental illness, and managing weight.
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy and the extra oxygen it brings the body is beneficial for brain health and cognitive function. Low blood oxygen levels can lead to brain fog and trouble with concentration. The additional blood flow brought about by extra oxygen improves brain function and promotes neuroplasticity. HBOT is even recommended for patients with brain injuries, Alzheimer’s or dementia.
- Extra oxygen promotes better sleep. A proper night’s sleep is essential to restore the body to perform day to day functions. Quality sleep boosts the immune system, improves concentration and focus, reduces the risk for mental illness, improves memory, and has a lot of other benefits for our overall well being. Many people have disrupted sleep patterns that do not promote good sleep quality. The additional oxygenation from hyperbaric oxygen therapy helps us achieve a slow-wave sleep, which is optimal for restoration and rest.
- Extra oxygen helps wounds heal faster by bringing much needed blood flow to oxygen-starved tissues. It also promotes the formation of new collagen and new skin cells, making wound healing much faster.
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy involves breathing 100% oxygen in the pressurized environment of the hyperbaric chamber. This allows our lungs to collect more oxygen that is then pumped by our heart to be absorbed into our blood plasma. This encourages better blood flow and circulation, with a host of health benefits for our body.
If you are interested in reaping the benefits of additional oxygen in Morris County, New Jersey, contact HBOT USA today. For more information, visit https://hbotusa.com/.